r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Miscellaneous / Off-topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rp 172 size with kids

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snj407 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rp 172 size with kids
    Posted: 25 May 2009 at 12:35pm
Hello,

I am new to this site. I am interested in getting a rp-172. I will be towing with a 2005 nissan quest. I have a few questions. First, the quest sits kinda low and wonder if ground clearance is a big issue. The next and most important. I have three small children (7,6,& 4). In your opinion, will we all be able to fit it there? I see that it has a set of double bunks on one side and the queen on the other side. I know it is small, but, will it work for us? I have not seen one in person yet. The rv dealer here will be getting one here in about three weeks. We are very excited about the possibility of getting one and making memories with our children. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. I hope that you have a great day

SM
TerryM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TerryM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2009 at 12:40pm
Check with your Nissan dealer about towing.  You might need heavier springs and shocks.  You also can get a ball hitch that sets up higher than others, your RV dealer could help with that question.

Terry
snj407 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snj407 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2009 at 12:45pm

Thanks. I towed a 17ft bass boat with it ok, so, I am hoping to do the same with this. I know that it is rated for 3500 lbs. As for the second question, this particular unit will be the first in this area that I know of. A lot of RV dealers here have not even heard of them. Luckily, I did find one that had just started to order them. Thanks again

SM
TerryM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TerryM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2009 at 2:23pm
How much does the 172 weigh?  It must be close to your limit.

Terry
snj407 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snj407 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2009 at 3:48pm
actually it is not. it is only 2113 pounds
duckbooklady View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duckbooklady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2009 at 3:57pm
We're buying a 172 and plan to pull it with our 2004 Quest.  We're putting in a transmission cooler to help it tow.

We have two kids.  Can't remember if we were in a 152 or a 172 at the RV show.  The inside is 6 ft across.  My husband laid down to see if he would fit.  I would say that for the time being, you could probably put your 6 & 4 yo in the same bunk at opposite ends, but they might outgrow that quickly.  Depending on your preference, one child could share the queen w/ you.

172 weighs 2200-2400 lbs. dry.   I think you'd have to pack in a lot of cargo to get to 3500 lbs.
snj407 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snj407 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2009 at 4:03pm
thanks. i can't wait to actually get in one to see it for myself. how much are the transmission coolers? I had thought about doing that as well
duckbooklady View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duckbooklady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2009 at 4:21pm
Our mechanic said about $100 including labor.  He ordered one, and found out the space was much smaller than he had thought.  So, he ordered a smaller one.  We haven't taken it back in yet.  Just thought knowing that there is only a small space might save you and your mechanic some of the hassle.  I don't know if the 05 engine is different than the 04.
jherald02 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jherald02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2009 at 5:01pm
I pull my 174 with a 2008 Toyota Highlander with the same weight limits of 3500lbs.  I don't use any kind of weight dist. hitches or anyting and have yet to have a problem.
Let's hit the road!
4peas in a Pod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4peas in a Pod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2009 at 1:03pm
We ordered the 172 and we have 2 kids.  I think it will be a tight squeeze, but we'll be spending most of time camping outdoors anyways! Smile  But, that is what we wanted to do too, make some great memories for/with our kids -- and this is lightweight and it comes with everything you need really (we are especially looking forward to the r-dome)!  We are towing ours with a Toyota Sienna and ours sits kinda low, too, but we haven't gotten our Rpod yet, so can't comment on that.   Let everyone know if you decide to get one!
Evan and Jodie
Rpod 172 coming soon!
Our tow: 2008 Toyota Sienna
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic