r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Maintenance Issues, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bike Rack Problem- Before & After Photos

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote George Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bike Rack Problem- Before & After Photos
    Posted: 24 May 2010 at 4:35am
We took the Escape Pod out for its first real camping trip this past weekend.  Everything went pretty well considering this is the first time my wife and I have ever camped in anything other than a tent.  We also took our toys which included taking the bicycles.  The Pod came with a short adapter welded onto the bottom rear end of the pod that accepted a 1 1/2 inch bike rack.  We towed the R-pod up North about 250 miles away with the bike rack mounted in place and carrying two bikes.  Everything went fine going to the campsite.  But, on the way home after approximately 100 miles I heard some awful scraping coming from the rear.  I pulled off to the side of the road and saw that the welded on bracket had failed and we were dragging the bikes on the pavement behind us.  It only destroyed 1 wheel and two tires. So we were very lucky that it was very warm and were were traveling with the windows down so I heard the scraping sound.  Had the windows been rolled up we would have destroyed both bikes and who knows what all we could have destroyed of the people following behind us if the bike rack had come loose.  We'll call Couches and find out how something like this gets handled.
I can't stop dreaming about June 15, 2013 when we get to permanently escape in our "Escape Pod" which is a 176T towed by a Chevy van with a 5.7L engine.
jjbescher View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jjbescher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2010 at 7:39am
When looking at the hitch on the back of my 173T, it says only 25 lbs to be inserted.  I may have someone try to reinforce mine, just in case I need to use it. 
R-Pod 173T towed by a 2003 Honda Pilot
Site # 164 Eastern Roundup
Ratdog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ratdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2010 at 7:43am
Are you talking about the receiver where the spare tire mounts? How much does the spare tire and its mounting post weigh? Less than 25 pounds?

-- Steve

Steve, Anne, and Paige the Rat Terrier
2013 Lexus RX 450h Hybrid AWD
2011 RP-177 (aka: The Circus Wagon)
jjbescher View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jjbescher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2010 at 7:46am
Originally posted by Ratdog Ratdog wrote:

Are you talking about the receiver where the spare tire mounts? How much does the spare tire and its mounting post weigh? Less than 25 pounds?

-- Steve

On the "T" models, the receiver is not used for the Spare Tire.  Our Spare tire is on the platform that gets folded down to make the bed of the Tent end.

I do not know why they did not make this stronger.
Ratdog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ratdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2010 at 8:08am
Originally posted by jjbescher jjbescher wrote:

When looking at the hitch on the back of my 173T, it says only 25 lbs to be inserted.  I may have someone try to reinforce mine, just in case I need to use it. 

I just checked the caution label on my 177 spare tire hitch. It says 250 pounds.

With a maximum of 25 pounds you could carry virtually nothing. The bike rack or whatever you stick in the receiver would weigh almost that much.

-- Steve

Steve, Anne, and Paige the Rat Terrier
2013 Lexus RX 450h Hybrid AWD
2011 RP-177 (aka: The Circus Wagon)
jjbescher View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jjbescher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2010 at 8:11am
I will double check mine.  I may have missed the "0".  I am hoping that I did.  I thought 25 seemed awfully low.

It has been raining non-stop since Saturday and I have my tent end down, so I need it to dry out a little before I go outside and check.

R&T's Pod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R&T's Pod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2010 at 3:54pm
I just checked our 175 and the sticker says 250 lbs.  I hope that's correct because the DW has been wanting to buy a bicycle for her (and one me too) to take camping.  So I was hoping to relocate the spare tire and add a bike rack.  rob
2010 R-Pod 175 2007 F-150 Super Cab R&T's Podding Blog

Butterfly_Lee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butterfly_Lee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2010 at 4:03pm
I emailed FR last year to confirm weight in back, and they also said 250, but not for towing anything.

Check out r-pod owners on facebook.  Someone has a picture of a rack in back.  Also seem to remember someone having some kind of a frame over the battery and lp tank that held bikes.  (Light trailer forum)

LeeClap
Still a work in progress, lots of pictures.
http://podterfly.blogspot.com/
pepperpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pepperpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2010 at 4:19pm
Originally posted by R&T's Pod R&T's Pod wrote:

I just checked our 175 and the sticker says 250 lbs.  I hope that's correct because the DW has been wanting to buy a bicycle for her (and one me too) to take camping.  So I was hoping to relocate the spare tire and add a bike rack.  rob
We have a bike rack on the back of our Pod. On our trip to Florida we had two full sized adult bikes.  There was no trouble.  My husband did use extra bungies to keep the bikes tight and keep them from swinging.  No problems.
Pepper,Coach,and Henry (a very brave little Maltese)
R Pod 172

The rewards of the journey far outweigh the risk of leaving the harbor...unknown
George View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote George Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2010 at 6:41am
Update -

We called Couch's and they said they would look into it.

They got back to us quickly and said Forest River would not fix the problem because we used a different bike rack in the welded on adapter than theirs.  Forest River told Couch's that the only way they would take care of problems with bike rack issues is if the R-Pod owner bought their bike rack from them.  Couch's told us they had never said that before. 

We were never told that we needed to use their bike rack. Also, the tag near the adapter clearly says that it will support 250 pounds.  So, we weighed the bikes we were carrying plus the bike rack that we already had and it came to 101 pounds total, well within the capacity. 

Couch's continued to pursue the issue on our behalf with Forest River.  After many phone calls, emails, and photos sent Forest River gave us the name and number of their supplier that made and welded on the adapter to the rear end of our R-Pod.

As soon as we sent pictures to the supplier they quickly got back to us that they would cover the damage to our bikes and pay for re-welding the adapter to our R-Pod.  The bike damage only came to 85 dollars.  However, we contacted a welding shop and they said the only way they would fix the problem is if they were allowed to weld in support brackets and the total cost to fix the bike rack adapter problem would be between 250 and 300 dollars.  We are still waiting to hear from the Forest River supplier as to whether or not they will accept that bill. 
I can't stop dreaming about June 15, 2013 when we get to permanently escape in our "Escape Pod" which is a 176T towed by a Chevy van with a 5.7L engine.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic