r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Maintenance Issues, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bike Rack Problem- Before & After Photos

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gdfaini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2010 at 7:33pm
I just removed the spare tire hitch from our 173.  I replaced it with a Thule Double Down hitch bike rack.  Fits like a champ.  Figured it's easier to put the spare in the pod than two bikes.  The bikes and Thule probably weigh less than the spare did, so I don't think I should have a problem.
Glenn
Hyundai Santa Fe <-> RP 173

gdfaini View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gdfaini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2010 at 7:39pm
Correction, the rack is a Yakima, not a Thule.
Glenn
Hyundai Santa Fe <-> RP 173

tdrace View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdrace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2010 at 9:23pm
I did the same with my 173.I put the wheel under the couch. Works great.
Happy Podding!
Theresa's Seaside Cowgirl
2010 FORD F150 V-8
2010 R-POD 173
Sisters on the Fly #1569
rgebhard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rgebhard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2010 at 11:07pm
Just bought "stack doubler" for holding bikes as well as tow hitch to pull pod...I am concerned now about hitch weight etc..with extended hitch tongue creating more torque than short hitch..has anyone use the stack doubler and pulled pod..tow vehicel is 3/4 chevy heavy duty van with v8 and tow capacity of 6,000lbs and hitch on back of van to match.   I tried the bike rack on back of the pod in 1 1/2in receiver..did not like the bounce and sway on bikes and pod so thought I would try the stack doubler..Maybe I will just put the bikes inside the van and not have to worry about them...
rpoders2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rpoders2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2010 at 8:57am
Originally posted by rgebhard rgebhard wrote:

Just bought "stack doubler" for holding bikes as well as tow hitch to pull pod...I am concerned now about hitch weight etc..with extended hitch tongue creating more torque than short hitch..has anyone use the stack doubler and pulled pod..tow vehicel is 3/4 chevy heavy duty van with v8 and tow capacity of 6,000lbs and hitch on back of van to match.   I tried the bike rack on back of the pod in 1 1/2in receiver..did not like the bounce and sway on bikes and pod so thought I would try the stack doubler..Maybe I will just put the bikes inside the van and not have to worry about them...
We tried the bike rack in the hitch on the Pod in place of the spare tire...also did not like the sway and bounce.  Since those first two trips we have either placed the bike(s) inside the back of the Pilot or in the Pod.
Ellen, Dick (2 legs)
Mo Chara (the camping cat) Dudley (the world's best camping dog)
RPod 173
'07 Honda Pilot
rgebhard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rgebhard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2010 at 7:16pm
yah..I do not like things hanging outside..I keep thinking about it out there..thanks
dr*****k View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr*****k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2010 at 7:22pm
We are towing our 177 with our 2008 lexus 400 H too.  have you had any problems.  I am nervous because thew capacity is 3500 lbs.  We are likely at 3000 lbs with equipment .  
George and Sue
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic