r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

176-T "MikPod" Mods

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikolia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 176-T "MikPod" Mods
    Posted: 24 Apr 2010 at 4:06pm
Well we had a nice day with not much else to do except setup and mod the pod. We wanted to make sure that everything works and have an understanding of how to set it all up.

We set up the R-Dome as well. It was pretty easy for me to do by myself. Definitely use a silicon lube on the tracks. The Dome is nice and adds a nice buffer zone and chill place outside the camper. I had a german side tent with my 77 westfalia and it had a floor in it. The R-dome has no floor and I think I like that!
RDOME PIX:

You can see some sag where I think the clips were installed (I didnt do it)in the wrong place?:

Here is the screen slide in for under the Pod:

MIKPOD MODS:

Here is what we added so far:

• Mounted LCD TV
The wall behind the entertainment center in the 176-T is pretty thin, so adding some wood is a good idea. I wound up using a piece of 2x4 and a smaller piece of scrap wood that I had lying around because you really need to mount the TV as close to the opening of the entertainment center as you can to clear all of the outlets and antenna jacks.

• Quieted Water Pump
I did not put anything extra under the water pump, but I did put foam wedges in-between hoses and walls/floor/other hoses. This helped quite a bit.

• Installed 12v outlet & 3 way switched multi-tap
I unplugged the power cord from camper and opened the battery box and disconnected the negative wire from the terminal. Then I unscrewed the plate for the antenna jacks. I took off the clip leads from the terminals on the circuit board behind the plate. I put the black wire from the 12v socket into the hole on the ground terminal and bent the wire up and over the top of the terminal. I put the ground clip back onto the terminal over top of the black wire - its tight but it fits. I did the same with the red wire and then put it all back together. I plugged in a three outlet 12v switched set and plugged in the TV and a 400 watt inverter for charging and misc stuff we might need when not hooked up to electrical.

• Memory Foam
I have had too many bad times with air mattresses! We picked up a 4 inch memory foam queen size at wally world on sale for about $100.00. It feels great, although I havent slept in it yet!

Next will be kitchen hooks, mounts, shelves and baskets. I still want to add a solar panel as well. Let me know if your thinking about getting a 176-T and you have any questions. For us (2 kids, 2 adults) it works perfectly!

yizit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yizit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2010 at 12:46pm
Nice job!!!  I can see many happy times in your little pod.
Former owner of 2009 Rpod 172
Darlene & Jim, Ewok our Lhasa
Roada our 2004 Roadtrek 190P Conversion Van
PodPatrol View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PodPatrol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2010 at 3:10pm
Great Mods !!!
Bill in NL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill in NL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2010 at 2:28pm
I mounted my TV using a small mounting bracket just two days ago, after I towed the pod to the dealer for some hitch work, and realized I had not secured the TV.  Luckily, with the 176T, the slide also covers the entertainment center and the TV was OK. There is a stud in the wall just to the right of center, and using extra screws in the mounting bracket, I think it's pretty secure. I also made a small metal bracket and secured the bottom of the TV so it could not swing out. (the TV mounting bracket locked in at the top, but the TV could swing ou at the bottom because there was no room for the additional locking bolts that came with the TV mount.)
seamom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seamom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2010 at 10:27am
I would love to see pictures of the 176-T while closed to see how the fabric looks and how usable the dinette area is when closed.  We are considering purchasing but still have questions (currently own a much smaller pop-up tent trailer). 
conan42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote conan42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2012 at 11:06pm
Did closed up pictures ever get posted?
Peggy L. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peggy L. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2012 at 6:13am
Originally posted by conan42 conan42 wrote:

Did closed up pictures ever get posted?

Is this what you're looking for?
Traveling with Herb and the Boon-doggie

2010 r-pod 171 pulled by '11 Silverado
conan42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote conan42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2012 at 8:24am
Yes, thank you very much.  I have been looking for pictures like that for a few weeks.  I am not sure why that didn't come up when I searched... oh well.  Thanks again.
Peggy L. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peggy L. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2012 at 8:34am
I have the advantage of having been on this board for a long time and remembered seeing those pictures. I also knew that not all modifications were in the mods section. Before the mods section was created, all the modifications used to go under maintenance. I'm glad I could help.
Traveling with Herb and the Boon-doggie

2010 r-pod 171 pulled by '11 Silverado
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic