r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > r-pod Adventures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Pepperpod Roadtrip

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pepperpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2010 at 11:31pm
We are now at McKinney Campground on Allatoona Lake.  It has been an interesting day.  I decided to drive the last leg of our trip!  Yes that included going through Atlanta.  No, Beth, I was not as brave as you.  We took the bypass.  However, that was quite "hair raising" in itself.  Soooo many trucks.  I did well until we got back onto I 75 and then I had to decide which of the 6 lanes I needed to be in.  You never know about Atlanta.  Sometimes you exit right and then sometimes left.  I just decided to stay in the middle  and trust my copilot to tell me which lane I needed.  Whew.  Sure was glad to get out of there.
We arrived at McKinney Campground by a road which was quite curvy.  I now know that I can drive through Atlanta and also on curvy narrow roads. Big smile
This campground is wonderful.  Most of the sites are on the lake.  Our view out our back window is of the lake.  Across the lake is a marina.  The sites are wide and have a great area for the picnic table and firering.  Very large.  Tall pine trees all around.  I must say that it is a little unnerving being the only campers in the loop.  That will change come the weekend.  The weather is supposed to be in the 80s toward the end of the week.  Cell phone service is great.

JUST PODDING ALONG
Pepper,Coach,and Henry (a very brave little Maltese)
R Pod 172

The rewards of the journey far outweigh the risk of leaving the harbor...unknown
Peggy L. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peggy L. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2010 at 7:17am
Originally posted by pepperpod pepperpod wrote:

I decided to drive the last leg of our trip!  Yes that included going through Atlanta. 

Show off!

It sounds like one of those idyllic campgrounds and you're having the perfect weather for it.
Traveling with Herb and the Boon-doggie

2010 r-pod 171 pulled by '11 Silverado
pepperpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pepperpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2010 at 8:55am
LOLNo, not showing off.  Just amazed that I was able to pull it off.  I have been afraid to tow for 20 years. This is a very restful place and we intend to do just that.
Big smile
R Pod 172

The rewards of the journey far outweigh the risk of leaving the harbor...unknown
Tink View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2010 at 3:41pm
You go girl!!!!  That's why I got the pod so I could drive it by myself. I don't know that I would be anywhere brave enough to get close to Atlanta, though.

Tink'rPod 174 Knoxville,TN,
Linda Faust View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Linda Faust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2010 at 8:54am
I inadvertantly drove through Atlanta during rush.  Ted did most of the driving but I was behind the wheel when the city came up and really had no place to switch so I drove.  I found a truck which had northern license plates and stayed behind him.  I switched lanes when he did and we made it.  I was an emotional wreck though.  I only had our little pop up behind us, but I had the 4 kids in the car.  I haven't pulled the RPod yet.  I don't know if I will be able to muster the courage to do so....ever!  Linda
RPod 171 Rav 4
Happy Camping, Ted, Linda & our labradorable Gracie
pepperpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pepperpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2010 at 9:05am
Linda,
If you pulled your popup through Atlanta with your 4 kids in the car, you can pull the Pod. It is actuallly the same width as our F150 truck. Rick says it is easier to see around than the popup. When we got off of the interstate going to this campground, we found verrry curvy roads.  As long as I told myself that the Pod is no wider than the truck, I was ok. Big smile
R Pod 172

PodPatrol View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PodPatrol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2010 at 9:05am
Been through Atlanta a time or two, sometimes it's just easier to go right through it than around it.
The Loops are so crowded these days there's no escaping traffic.

Tink View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2010 at 9:06am
You CAN do it!

Tink'rPod 174 Knoxville,TN,
pepperpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pepperpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2010 at 9:15am
I thought I would give you a little campground update.  The guy at check in told us that they have 57 sites that are never reserved.  Someone, earlier, had told me that federal and some state parks have sites that are not ever reserved. If you are traveling on I 75, this would be an easy place to get to.  The roads are a little narrow and go up and down the hills so keep that in mind.  It is very peaceful here today, but all the sites are reserved for the weekend and Rick says we are in for a noisy ride! Big smile We are three sites down from a boat ramp so it should be interesting.
R Pod 172

Maryjo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maryjo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2010 at 12:27pm
Hey Pepperpod, Congrats on your drive through Atlanta! I can just imagine how nervous you were, I would be a wreck! I don't like to drive in heavy traffic anyway, so pulling a Pod makes it harder. I did pull mine through downtown Fort Worth,(not my idea)  hopefully for the first and last time.

It sounds like you guys are at a very nice spot. Enjoy your vacation.

Maryjo

FoxyPod (Maryjo)2010 R-Pod 173 Tow Vehicle:2004 Expedition
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 12>
  Share Topic