r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Maintenance Issues, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Dome Set-Up. The Definitive List

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daystarsc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2010 at 12:25pm
 Shocked WOW!  You got instructions!?!  Exclamation I am jealous.  LOL LOL

Becky
pepperpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pepperpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2010 at 7:53pm
Originally posted by Kenn Kenn wrote:

Has anyone tried to leave their dome permanently attached? The instructions say that it is possible.
Kenn
I think those are generic instructions.  The instructions we have speak of a dome which is permantly in a bag. You mount the bag on the trailer and then unzip the bag, I think.  We do not have that kind.
Pepper,Coach,and Henry (a very brave little Maltese)
R Pod 172

The rewards of the journey far outweigh the risk of leaving the harbor...unknown
birder1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote birder1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2010 at 10:15pm
I found the cause of the plastic slivers.  It is caused by the factory assemblers using a screw bit that is larger than the width of the track.  This causes a burr on the inside of both lips of the track.  I used a Dremel type tool (Craftsman) with a mini grinding wheel to remove the burr, followed the emery cloth.  Clean and silicone spray. 
R-Pod 177
6 cyl. 4Runner
Tink View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2010 at 9:02pm
Maybe we should have show and tell for the newbies about the dome at the Roundup. It does seem overwhelming when you first do it. I can do it by myself in 10 - 15 minutes with a 4 ft. ladder.

Tink'rPod 174 Knoxville,TN,
Pie_Pod View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pie_Pod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2010 at 10:05pm
I love that idea!  We have yet to put up the R-dome...Our weather here is so unstable at this time of year..plus, our site at the lake is mostly shaded.

But, this past weekend, I felt crowded in the pod with me, ted, and ted's son....maybe the r-dome would help a bit...
~cindy (Pod_Patrol's Girl)
Sandpiper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sandpiper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2010 at 10:24pm
We have been going around about the R Dome and discovered a couple of real problems on ours.  First I thought I had ground down all the burrs on the track and we tried to put the dome in the track.  What a circus with me pulling and Mrs Piper pushing and me cussing and her putting up with me we finally got it to the position where it was balanced in the track.  I was ready for a Yeungling but Mrs Piper wasn't hearing any of that.  So we set up the rest of the dome and it looks to be a very nice addition to the R Pod.  Then came time to take it down.  With me pulling and Mrs Piper pushing we finally got the d$@& thing out of the track with several slivers of plastic in the track and on the ground so I guess I didn't get all the burrs out of the track.  Another 10 to 15 minutes of Dremel work and I think all the burrs are gone.  Now I think I'll apply for my dental assistants license. Then I backed out all the screws and started to re install them but I noticed they had bevels on the side next to the pod so that was holding the screws out farther than they should have been.  Back to the tool room and a champering tool in the drill I champered all the track screw holes and re installed the screws.  By that time it was definitely Yeungling time and I haven't tried the R Dome again but maybe tomorrow.  One way or another it is going to work and it ain't going to be a major undertaking to put up. 
Tink,  you should definitely plan on a show and tell for us newbies at the Roundup..
Sandpiper
Mrs.'Piper
Ford 150-[Mini Lite 2104S]
PodPatrol View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PodPatrol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2010 at 10:32pm

GGeezzz .....

Burrs, Bevels, and Slivers .... Oh My !!! No wonder Ive stalled the r-Dome confrontation.

When's that class for the "newbies" again ???
Tink View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2010 at 10:36pm
We can do that, but I really don't know any more than the next person. I had the dealer file all the screws. Under warranty. Then Larry gave me a can of silicone spray. Wonderful stuff, that is. What is a little tricky with one person is getting the flex pole in BOTH holes. AND the strap clicked. BUT
 it can be done with a lot of fanagaling. It sure helps when someone sees me struggling and offers to help instead of watching to see how I'm gonna do it. Or maybe we can just rush to help whoever is trying to their dome up. HA! Maybe we should just all always travel together so we know we'll have educated help!

Tink'rPod 174 Knoxville,TN,
Butterfly_Lee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butterfly_Lee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2010 at 11:13pm
Originally posted by Sandpiper Sandpiper wrote:

We have been going around about the R Dome and discovered a couple of real problems on ours.  First I thought I had ground down all the burrs on the track and we tried to put the dome in the track.  What a circus with me pulling and Mrs Piper pushing and me cussing and her putting up with me we finally got it to the position where it was balanced in the track.  I was ready for a Yeungling but Mrs Piper wasn't hearing any of that.  So we set up the rest of the dome and it looks to be a very nice addition to the R Pod.  Then came time to take it down.  With me pulling and Mrs Piper pushing we finally got the d$@& thing out of the track with several slivers of plastic in the track and on the ground so I guess I didn't get all the burrs out of the track.  Another 10 to 15 minutes of Dremel work and I think all the burrs are gone.  Now I think I'll apply for my dental assistants license. Then I backed out all the screws and started to re install them but I noticed they had bevels on the side next to the pod so that was holding the screws out farther than they should have been.  Back to the tool room and a champering tool in the drill I champered all the track screw holes and re installed the screws.  By that time it was definitely Yeungling time and I haven't tried the R Dome again but maybe tomorrow.  One way or another it is going to work and it ain't going to be a major undertaking to put up. 
Tink,  you should definitely plan on a show and tell for us newbies at the Roundup..

Here's and idea that might help with the $@#$% pushing and pulling.  Check out page 2.  The handles on the ends with silicone spray makes a BIG Difference..

LeeClap

Still a work in progress, lots of pictures.
http://podterfly.blogspot.com/
Sandpiper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sandpiper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2010 at 11:31pm
Butterfly_Lee
We had been watching your posts intensely and planned to add handles like you came up with.  Mrs 'Piper said there was too much BLUE SMOKE around the last time we wrestled with the Dome. Censored
Oh well, some times you just have to blow off SMOKE steam. Right ? 

Sandpiper
Mrs.'Piper
Ford 150-[Mini Lite 2104S]
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic