r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New 177 Under Seat Compartment

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VenturaTom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New 177 Under Seat Compartment
    Posted: 15 Feb 2010 at 10:34pm
Diane and I have had our R-Pod 177 for some time now, and much to Di's dismay I just can't  resist getting my tools and playing a game I call "let's see whats in/under there!".

Well, in the 177 there is a more or less permanent front end dinette (convertible to a bed) with spacious storage compartment under the door side of the front dinette.  We plan to keep dry food and such essentials that are more frequently accessed in there.  The kitchen side dinette is..was, screwed down.  So I opened it.   This is the seat before opening:

And here it is after lifting the lid!   I have to say, that poking around like I have I am less than thrilled with the fit/finish Forest River used making the pod.  I've found loose screws, cut off cable ties, lots of sawdust.  You'd think they could hire someone to vacuum the place up before it moves down the assembly line!  The wiring looks like they threw it in there, then fastened it down where it landed.

Ok, back to the newly opened compartment, sure, it has to have room for the battery control panel and wiring, but still a lot of wasted space in my opinion....so I sought to change that.  I bought a few pieces of 1x2 poplar boards and a 2x2 foot square piece of birch 1/4 inch thick plyboard at our local Lowes home improvement store, then got out my tools to frame in a compartment.

This is it framed in after cutting boards to fit and using an 18volt nail gun to tack them into place.  I left adequate ventilation space around the power unit for air circulation.  Oops...wiring spill over there!

Here is another view with framing nailed and wedged in tight!  Maybe a bit of room in back of the power unit for something else maybe??

Then I cut the 1/4 ply to fit, and notched to fit the framing and wiring then used the nail gun to tack that down.  There is a piece of the 1x2 poplar across and flush with the rest of the seat frame.

Now I cut the original seat panel in basically in half, screwed down the side over the electrical stuff, and put hinges on the new compartment lid.  Simple hinges, and 1/2" roundtop screws to secure it in.

Now we have some new storage!  Still need to clean up the wires, but I gained about half of what was previously useless under the seat.

This will be a place for infrequently used items like battery powered lanterns, spare batteries, maybe a cast iron skillet or dutch oven...oh, and yes...my took kit!  Yep..if I'm gonna haul a smaller version of my stuff around...my stuff includes a decent basic tool kit!

Total cost about $25 or so, and a few hours time.
2006 Dodge Ram Mega Cab
Cummins 5.7L Turbo-Diesel
R-Pod 177 Owner

Former VW Camper then Tent/Dirt Camper
Pie_Pod View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pie_Pod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2010 at 10:40pm
Nice job!  It looks really nice!
~cindy (Pod_Patrol's Girl)
yizit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yizit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2010 at 11:06pm
Great job!!!  It pays to snoop around.  What a bonus. 
Former owner of 2009 Rpod 172
Darlene & Jim, Ewok our Lhasa
Roada our 2004 Roadtrek 190P Conversion Van
PodPatrol View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PodPatrol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2010 at 11:38pm
Great Job !!!

Cindy and I checked that area out too. I saw the same thing you did Tom.
Wouldn't it have been great if they would have placed the Electric Center on the other end?
That would have made the "use-able" area easier to get to.
None the less, its a great Mod for sure. Any storage is good storage in an r-Pod !!!

Thumbs Up
Phil H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phil H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2010 at 10:32am
Nice job - don't forget to drill a hole in the top of the hinged lid as a finger pull to lift the lid. Smile

I want to do something similar under the queen bed so I can access the stuff at the back of the compartment without having to lay on the floor and struggle to reach stuff that has slid to the back, lol.
2010 R-pod 171 (sold)
2010 Surveyor SV251 towed by a 2010 Chevrolet Avalanche
pepperpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pepperpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2010 at 9:37pm
My husband uses a broom handle, with a cup hook screwed into the end, to pull things out of the truck bed when we camp.  This could work for you.
Pepper,Coach,and Henry (a very brave little Maltese)
R Pod 172

The rewards of the journey far outweigh the risk of leaving the harbor...unknown
Linda Faust View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Linda Faust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2010 at 10:43pm
We have a 171 and our storage compartment looks a lot like yours but the factory made it that way.  In the 171 the compartment is hard to get to so I don't use it often.  You did a beautiful job on your compartment though.  Maybe in the 177 it is easier to get to.  Any space in an RPod should be available for storage.  By the way the 177 is the perfect RPod.  The extra space provided by the slide out is wonderful.  Linda
RPod 171 Rav 4
Happy Camping, Ted, Linda & our labradorable Gracie
ron_whitt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ron_whitt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2011 at 2:25pm
hi Tom, we have purchased a 177 also and will pick it up this spring. We were wondering where you would put your dishes in the rpod. When we bought the 177 I noticed that space also and thought about doing that when we get it in the spring. Have you done any other mods to you pod, since that mod? This is a great forum. Can't wait till spring.
Ron & Shirley W
2007 FJ Cruiser
2012 177.. "EHHH" R Pod" its a canadian thing..
Camper Bob View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camper Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2011 at 3:22pm
Unfortunately, my tribe are not handy.  Looks like a great mod.  I wonder how much a cabinet shop would charge to do that mod as well as a few others I have seen. Hoping to get a 171 in the spring and have made a list of additional equip. to add to it.  In any event keep up the good work.  Always interested to see what others who are far more handy than I can come up with.
Camper Bob and Camper Sue
Gracie the Wonder Dog (12 lb.) Mini Dachshund
2013 Rpod 171HRE (Pods-of-Luck)
2005 Chev. Tahoe
jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2011 at 5:01pm
Ron,  we special ordered our 177 last January without A/C, without entertainment center and w/o microwave.  We normally dry camp so all these 'extras' were not needed.  In place where the microwave is we added an additional shelf so plates, glasses, convenience foods, pans, ect. fit in that area.  It is a pretty large area IF you don't have the oven in its place.  There is netting in front of the opening, like what is along the floor to keep stuff from falling out while traveling.  What I haven't done YET is to add that extra storage area under the seat next to the fuse box.  That is an EXCELLENT idea!  Thanks to Ventura Tom!  We have thoroughly enjoyed our 177.  One year down, prayerfully, many more ahead of us.

'11 RP-177
'08 Ford Explorer
God's Pod

'11 model 177

'13 Ford Explorer

Jim & Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic