r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > r-pod Owners Registry
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New To The R-Pod family

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sylviablue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2010 at 1:47pm
Kenn, I like your Silly Pod.  Our grand daughter will love it too! Tongue
In the end there's just a song comes cryin up the night

Kenn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2010 at 3:17pm
Thanks Sylvia Smile Now, we're just deciding on what tag to put in it...LOL

2010 RPOD 176 (Silly-POD), 2011 Forest River Stealth 2612, and 2014 Forest River XLR 380AMP
David View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2010 at 4:26pm
I like it too.  It looks oddly familiar though.....I got it .....the mirror!!!!LOL
Hope to see you "out there"

David - weird guy with a wolf
Dixie - German Shepherd
RP173 - "Campground Assault Vehicle 1"
2009 Silverado 5.3L V8
dockguy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dockguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2010 at 1:31pm
Hi R-Pod Owners,

My wife and I have been camping for several years now together.  I started camping when I was 12 and am now 51.  We started with tents, went to a Coleman Niagara Pop-Up camper which was difficult to tow.  Then we tried an Aliner Classic but that lacked a shower and a toilet and we are now thinking about purchasing either an R-pod 151 or a 177.  Our chidlren are grown and we want something with the basics of a camper that is easy to tow and that we can travel crosss country in easily and affordably.  My quesitons for anyone out there are:   Is the 151 big enough to spend a week in ?  What size wattage generator do you need to use the electric systems in the R-Pod's as I live in the Adirondack region of NY State  and there are no hook-ups in our DEC parks ? Is a small travel trailer (like an R-Pod) more economical to travel in versus just going to hotels as we travel ?  (From what I understand that in NY state campers with a shower and a toilet are considered second homes and can be deducted as such, this is enticing too us).  Thanks for your help and advice as we love to travel and are looking at alternative ways to make the most of our family time together !

RCP
2 Pea's in a Pod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2 Pea's in a Pod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2010 at 3:21pm
Hi again,  thanks for all the welcoming responses and feedback. I am looking at outfitting my R-Pod but can not find sources on the internet. I have never owned a camper so I have no idea as to what type of bedding to buy or any accessories. I am sure Wallmart will have small utensils and such for camping. The R-Pod 176 has two bunks and the I think queen bed. Do these take standard sheets or do they take special sheets. Also...Do you sleep on the cushions provided or is it best to buy a air matress so to save wear and tear on the xisting cusions?
PodPatrol View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PodPatrol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2010 at 4:34pm
Originally posted by dockguy dockguy wrote:

Hi R-Pod Owners,

My wife and I have been camping for several years now together.  I started camping when I was 12 and am now 51.  We started with tents, went to a Coleman Niagara Pop-Up camper which was difficult to tow.  Then we tried an Aliner Classic but that lacked a shower and a toilet and we are now thinking about purchasing either an R-pod 151 or a 177.  Our chidlren are grown and we want something with the basics of a camper that is easy to tow and that we can travel crosss country in easily and affordably.  My quesitons for anyone out there are:   Is the 151 big enough to spend a week in ?  What size wattage generator do you need to use the electric systems in the R-Pod's as I live in the Adirondack region of NY State  and there are no hook-ups in our DEC parks ? Is a small travel trailer (like an R-Pod) more economical to travel in versus just going to hotels as we travel ?  (From what I understand that in NY state campers with a shower and a toilet are considered second homes and can be deducted as such, this is enticing too us).  Thanks for your help and advice as we love to travel and are looking at alternative ways to make the most of our family time together !

Welcome dockguy !!!
The choice of r-Pod you decide to buy I'm sure will suit your needs.
We have the 177. There are a few 15*'s owners here too. I believe that any of the r-Pod floorplans will allow a week stay without feeling to clammed up.
We dont have a generator, but there are lots of posts here that may be of interest to you. Just plug in "generator" into the search and Im sure that several posts/threads will pop up ...
The hotel route is not my cup of tea, but some may find it more suitable for their purposes.
The actual cost of towing (and the TT payment itself) could be cost effective, depending on how much you travel, as opposed to hotels.
If you desire "Family" time then going the TT route may be the better choice.
With smart use of the Battery(s) and LP tank(s) it is possible to camp for an extended amount of time.
With a generator you can be more relaxed about power consumption. Running TVs and Microwaves you'll need more power than the Battery can provide, so a generator may be in your future !

I spent a summer near your location way back in '72. We were at a resort (of sorts) near Porter Corners. We worked part-time at the Saratoga Performing Arts Center when they were having "Rock" concerts. Saw alot of bands there. I really thought it was beautiful there !
PodPatrol View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PodPatrol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2010 at 4:56pm
Originally posted by 2 Pea's in a Pod 2 Pea's in a Pod wrote:

Hi again,  thanks for all the welcoming responses and feedback. I am looking at outfitting my R-Pod but can not find sources on the internet. I have never owned a camper so I have no idea as to what type of bedding to buy or any accessories. I am sure Wallmart will have small utensils and such for camping. The R-Pod 176 has two bunks and the I think queen bed. Do these take standard sheets or do they take special sheets. Also...Do you sleep on the cushions provided or is it best to buy a air matress so to save wear and tear on the xisting cusions?

Sources we Got !!! Just pick a subject matter (mattress) and several posts should come up.
There is alot of great information here, but sometimes it can get covered up.
The "Search" option is your best bet.

As far as searching the "Web", just plug in any particular RV subject into "Google" and you will be amazed at the many "hits" you'll get. What may be good for one camper, may not be preferable to the next. Its all a matter of personal preference.

dockguy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dockguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2010 at 5:53pm
Ted & Cindy,
Thanks for the info. in regards to traveling with an R-pod, generator info., etc.
I appreciate your input as there is lots to think about.

Sincerely, Randy (A.K.A - dockguy),
                2005 Toyota Tundra, In search of R-pod !
RCP
pepperpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pepperpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2010 at 9:33pm
Originally posted by 2 Pea's in a Pod 2 Pea's in a Pod wrote:

Hi
I am just now outfitting my 172 for a month long trip to Florida.  We have camped for 20 plus years in popups so we do have some things.
When buying things think about the area of the pod you will use it in:

Kitchen
Bath
Bedding
Storage

I think the bunks in your model are smaller than mine.  I think yours are 32 or 36 inches.  It is possible that a regular twin size sheet will fit.  The mattress is about 3 inches high.  We are going to sleep on ours for about a week before we decide if we need a  topper on them. 
I put the dinette down in one we were looking at.  Those cushions would not make for a very comfortable bed.  I think someone on here bought a topper to put on it and during the day it is rolled up toward the side of the dinette.
I measured the area beneath the bunk and beneath the dinette.  I am buying plastic containers to store my things in.  The containers work to keep things from shifting when the pod is on the move.
I hope this helps.  I hear that Walmart does have a lot of things you can use for the camper.  Just keep it to a minimum until you have used the pod.  Keep a note pad to write down things that you find you absolutely need in order to camp.
One more thought.  We have found over the years that it is better to buy your supplies when you get close to your destination.  We usually swing into a shopping center and do our shopping for the week.  Walmarts are great places because there is always room to park the trailer.

Pepper,Coach,and Henry (a very brave little Maltese)
R Pod 172

The rewards of the journey far outweigh the risk of leaving the harbor...unknown
2 Pea's in a Pod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2 Pea's in a Pod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2010 at 12:30pm
Thanks...that is great info. I really appreciate it. I can not wait to pick it up in April. Hope the weather will allow us to make the trip. I think we too will try and get a nights sleep in our new Pod as we travel back to Minnesota. Any suggestions, dafeguards, or advice, etc?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic