r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > r-pod Reviews and Information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Towing an r-pod

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butterfly_Lee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2010 at 8:24pm
Are you going to tow the POD or carry it.  LOL

LeeClap
Still a work in progress, lots of pictures.
http://podterfly.blogspot.com/
Kenn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2010 at 9:18pm
I dunno...it might be close to max payload if I carried it...LOL Would I need a WDH hitch for this to eliminate sway and stuff?

I figured we'd have some fun with this Tongue

2010 RPOD 176 (Silly-POD), 2011 Forest River Stealth 2612, and 2014 Forest River XLR 380AMP
Brin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2010 at 9:49pm

Good Lord.  Don't give my husband any ideas.  We went from a Tacoma to a diesel F250 and he loves that for towing.  He jokingly says we need something bigger every time we go by a 350 or something like that.  Wacko

Terri and Craig and Panzer
R-pod 175, 2009
2000 F250 XLT Extended Cab, Diesel
Kenn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2010 at 10:13pm
Hey, you can't go wrong with a 750...LOL

2010 RPOD 176 (Silly-POD), 2011 Forest River Stealth 2612, and 2014 Forest River XLR 380AMP
Billy Bob View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billy Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2010 at 1:41pm
For those looking for a WDH and sway control, go to the Hensley site, www.HensleyMfg.com and check out their towing video. They make a Cub model that only has one bar for smaller trailers. They are guaranteed to eliminate sway all-together. There are three Cub models, depending on trailer length. The down side is they are pricey, but how much value does one put on being safe.
2011 Visa 23RBK pulled with 2010 Nissan Titan. 12.5 MPG when towing.
The Most Beautiful Thing In Life Is The Ability To love.
www.BillyAdeliza.homestead.com
pepperpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pepperpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2010 at 1:56pm
Originally posted by Billy Bob Billy Bob wrote:

For those looking for a WDH and sway control, go to the Hensley site, www.HensleyMfg.com and check out their towing video. They make a Cub model that only has one bar for smaller trailers. They are guaranteed to eliminate sway all-together. There are three Cub models, depending on trailer length. The down side is they are pricey, but how much value does one put on being safe.
I think the sway problem is relative to the size of your tow vehicle.  We drove 2000+ miles in March using our Ford F 150 as a tow vehicle.  We had some sway but we were in VERY high winds most of the time we were on the interstates.  Passing trucks did not seem to cause any sway.  I must admit that we were very careful while driving in those high winds.  They were the worst we have experienced in our 25 years of camping.
Pepper,Coach,and Henry (a very brave little Maltese)
R Pod 172

The rewards of the journey far outweigh the risk of leaving the harbor...unknown
yizit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yizit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2010 at 10:45pm
Originally posted by Billy Bob Billy Bob wrote:

The down side is they are pricey, but how much value does one put on being safe.

Couldn't agree with you more.  Another brand to check out is the Equal-i-zer.  They have one for trailers weighing less then 4000#'s and hitch less then 400#'s.
Former owner of 2009 Rpod 172
Darlene & Jim, Ewok our Lhasa
Roada our 2004 Roadtrek 190P Conversion Van
Kenn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2010 at 6:17am
I agree that if you have a 150 or even a 750 that you wont need a WDH. The longer and heavier the TV, the more stable it is. Now, there's no price for safety, but there comes a point where you're just throwing money away.

gmandual View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gmandual Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2010 at 8:13pm

rpoders2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rpoders2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2010 at 10:09pm
gmandual...your advice is priceless...we did have a partially filled black water tank...no fresh water and no gray...but a bike rack and one bike (on a rack built to hold 4) on the back of the pod!  I'll check the placement of the tanks under the 173 and load more stuff inside the pod towards the front (close to the hitch) next time to see how that works.  I'm still working on setting the electric brake controller so the trailer doesn't grab so much but knowing about the manual stoppage is a good emergency trick.
Ellen, Dick (2 legs)
Mo Chara (the camping cat) Dudley (the world's best camping dog)
RPod 173
'07 Honda Pilot
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 12>
  Share Topic