r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > r-pod Reviews and Information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Towing an r-pod

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sylviablue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2010 at 6:19pm
No sway bar, axle riser, no problems.  We seen to be in good shape.  
In the end there's just a song comes cryin up the night

yizit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yizit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2010 at 8:45pm
I agree it is a personal choice.  Maybe if you are going just a short distance you may not be as concerned.  But for those who plan to travel several thousand miles, it may be cheap insurance and peace of mind.
Former owner of 2009 Rpod 172
Darlene & Jim, Ewok our Lhasa
Roada our 2004 Roadtrek 190P Conversion Van
sylviablue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sylviablue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2010 at 9:18am
Yep, we are going to kentucky in June and will see how it shakes out.

Outbound View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Outbound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2010 at 1:53pm
If anyone is experiencing sag problems, or if they're overloading their vehicle's tongue weight, they should seriously consider a WDH.  For me, it would be manditory, but I won't impose my choices on others.

Sway, on the other hand, is a different beast: sway bars, by their nature, mask a problem.  They add resistance in an attempt to lessen sway.  Before anyone gets riled up by that statement, I agree that in some cases they are the only solution to dealing with sway.  I also agree that sway bars do offer assistance when dealing with strong, gusty winds or wash from tractor trailers.

But, I strongly encourage anyone with sway problems to look at their vehicle and trailer carefully.  Make sure that the tongue weight is between 10% and 15% of their trailer's total weight.  Make sure that all tires are inflated properly.  Make sure that weight is distributed evenly from side-to-side in the trailer.  Have a second look at any mods you've done (bicycle racks, dual tanks, etc) and make sure that they aren't contributing to your sway problem.  In other words: do all you can to minimize sway without the use of sway bars.  I sincerely hope that those who use sway bars use them as a preventative measure, as opposed to masking an existing, correctable, problem.
Craig :: 2008 Mazda Tribute :: 2009 r-pod 171, The Johnnie Ray
jjbescher View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jjbescher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2010 at 1:54pm
I got a sway bar on mine.  The main reason, first time towing anything in my life and wanted every help I could get.  I did not get a WDH nor do I think I need it.   I have a Honda Pilot and the 173T, so I already have a heavier tongue weight.  With the sway bar I have not had a problem with few times I have towed it.
R-Pod 173T towed by a 2003 Honda Pilot
Site # 164 Eastern Roundup
Linda Faust View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Linda Faust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2010 at 11:30pm
We have a 6 cyl. RAV 4 with all wheel drive.  We have a sway bar and have no problem.  We tried towing at 65 or 70 and it was too hard on the car.  We cut down to 55 to 60 and we don't get speeding tickets.  I like that speed because it is relaxing.  The car does very well as the capacity is around 3500 lbs.  Our gas milage went up to around 12 to 13 mpg.  We also don't use cruise control and put it in drive 4 rather than the overdrive 4.  My husband likes to drive 60 to 65 but it is too fast for the car.  Linda 
RPod 171 Rav 4
Happy Camping, Ted, Linda & our labradorable Gracie
dospinacoladas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dospinacoladas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2010 at 2:16pm
When I bought my '09 173 I had a 2002 Suzuki XL-7 with a 3000 lb towing capacity.  It towed OK but I wouldn't want it to go on longer trips.  Plus, there was no room for a transmission cooler.

After a month of towing with the Suzuki, I purchased a 2007 Jeep Liberty Sport.  It's got a towing capacity of 5000 lbs.  What a difference!  I do use the sway bars and I haven't had a problem on really windy days or when I am passed by larger vehicles.

'09 RPT-173 & '07 Jeep Liberty Sport
sylviablue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sylviablue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2010 at 7:39pm
Looking good dospinacoladas and by the way, make one for me too.Smile

HuronSailor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuronSailor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2010 at 9:12am
Make it cuatropinacoladas, por favor.
.: Mark & Beth :: Silverado 5.3L :: "arrrr"Pod 172 :: My Albums :: OurPod Blog ::
Kenn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2010 at 7:47pm
We're thinking about an F-750 for a TV. Would this thing be enough to tow the POD?

2010 RPOD 176 (Silly-POD), 2011 Forest River Stealth 2612, and 2014 Forest River XLR 380AMP
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 12>
  Share Topic