r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > r-pod Reviews and Information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Towing an r-pod

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miksons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2010 at 7:55am
My wife and I are retired and we are generally not in any big hurry to get any place. When I drove the motor home my typical speed was between 55 and 60 and I was rewarded by what I considered exceptional gas mileage - between 8 and 9 mpg. Perhaps 7 when the drive was pretty much all up hill (for example, going from Phoenix to Flagstaff). 

When you consider that I was also pulling a 4000+ pound car (my Jeep Liberty), I think that was great mileage. My neighbors who had similar units were getting 4-6, but driving much faster. I had assumed that I would drive much as before, so driving 55-60 is what I would have expected to do in any case.

I assume the Jeep Liberty is much like the Ford Escape. The car size is about the same and I believe that the engines are similar, so I would expect similar results. And it is quite a bit different from what the sales person at the dealership told me (Oh, you can expect your gas mileage to drop about 10%).

I had assumed I would get a sway bar, but, based on your comments, now believe that I will get a load leveling hitch also. I assume you can get them combined???

MikeFromMesa
sylviablue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sylviablue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2010 at 9:38am
Wow oh Wow.  We have a possible deal on a 2009 Nissan Frontier.  It was a repo and looks to be in excellent condition with factory warranty still running.  6500 lbs towing capacity in a v6!Approve
In the end there's just a song comes cryin up the night

David View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2010 at 3:42pm
Good  luck sylviablue!  Sound great. Smile
Hope to see you "out there"

David - weird guy with a wolf
Dixie - German Shepherd
RP173 - "Campground Assault Vehicle 1"
2009 Silverado 5.3L V8
Ned View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ned Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2010 at 4:28pm
We purchased a RP-173 last Spring and have never used a sway bar or load leveler. I drove in some very windy days with no problem. I find the trailer is very smooth and I am very happy with it.
Ned
Rocket Pod RP-173
Miramichi, NB
2005 Ford Escape
K9Equine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote K9Equine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2010 at 8:15pm
Started out with a 6 cyl Toyota Tacoma V6 sr5 Prerunner. Added a WDH with built in sway control. That did OK but still got sway if around semi's on the interstate. Traded up to a V8 Dodge 1500 Quad last month. MUCH better towing...regular hitch, no sway control. I kept the sway control set up, but it did not have an adequate drop for the height of the truck. I plan on researching a drop hitch shank that will be low enough to use the sway control with the big truck. I dont Have to have it, but I still sometimes think I feel a tiny bit of sway. The toyota was definately scared of the pod.....the Dodge has enough weight to barely feel it. Getting 14mpg on highway, 12 on secondary roads with the Dodge.
K9Equine
RP175
08 Dodge 1500 Quad
Franklin, KY
photog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote photog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2010 at 11:00pm
Originally posted by miksons miksons wrote:

My wife and I are retired and we are generally not in any big hurry to get any place. When I drove the motor home my typical speed was between 55 and 60 and I was rewarded by what I considered exceptional gas mileage - between 8 and 9 mpg. Perhaps 7 when the drive was pretty much all up hill (for example, going from Phoenix to Flagstaff). 

When you consider that I was also pulling a 4000+ pound car (my Jeep Liberty), I think that was great mileage. My neighbors who had similar units were getting 4-6, but driving much faster. I had assumed that I would drive much as before, so driving 55-60 is what I would have expected to do in any case.

I assume the Jeep Liberty is much like the Ford Escape. The car size is about the same and I believe that the engines are similar, so I would expect similar results. And it is quite a bit different from what the sales person at the dealership told me (Oh, you can expect your gas mileage to drop about 10%).

I had assumed I would get a sway bar, but, based on your comments, now believe that I will get a load leveling hitch also. I assume you can get them combined???

Yes, it's at most a 30 minute installation

Heinrich and Elly

2010 Dodge Dakota Crew Cab
Prime Time Tracer 205 M
yizit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yizit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2010 at 11:29pm
We use an Equal-i-zer WDH which is a combination of both.  We had it from our previous TT and is a 600/6000 (600#hitch/6000# TT weight).  When we purchased our pod I contacted Equal-i-zer inquiring if it is ok for the pod.  They said yes, but they do have a new one now for the smaller TT...400/4000.  They told us we would be fine with our 600/6000.  Do we need it?  Don't know.  It is more of a peace of mind and safety issue for us.  Better to be safe then sorry.
Former owner of 2009 Rpod 172
Darlene & Jim, Ewok our Lhasa
Roada our 2004 Roadtrek 190P Conversion Van
Kenn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2010 at 1:03am
We got axle risers installed today and it made a HUGE difference in towing. The POD now sits more level when we're towing it. It feels lighter and easier to tow now. Just thought I'd share this tid bit with you guys.
PodPatrol View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PodPatrol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2010 at 3:46am
I believe ya look for a "level" tow. The more "level" the pod is the more control you have with it.
Some have said a "little" dip toward the Tow Vehicle will actually help.
But If the rear of the Pod is dipping, then it might start dancing around on ya.
If I were to get one, and since my TV is 5000lbs towing and a 500lb tongue weight, I'd go with a 600/6000 too !!!
photog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote photog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2010 at 1:04am
Originally posted by PodPatrol PodPatrol wrote:

I believe ya look for a "level" tow. The more "level" the pod is the more control you have with it.
Some have said a "little" dip toward the Tow Vehicle will actually help.
But If the rear of the Pod is dipping, then it might start dancing around on ya.
If I were to get one, and since my TV is 5000lbs towing and a 500lb tongue weight, I'd go with a 600/6000 too !!!

That is way too heavy a hitch for any of the R-pods, the size needed for a WDH is determined by the tongue weight of the trailer. If you use too heavy a hitch you might have a problem getting it adjusted properly for a level tow. 
Heinrich and Elly

2010 Dodge Dakota Crew Cab
Prime Time Tracer 205 M
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 12>
  Share Topic