r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > r-pod Reviews and Information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Towing an r-pod

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gepaine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2010 at 10:40am
We experience a 40% drop in gas mileage when towing our 175 with a Sienna. I think we get this "good" mileage because I take it really easy - I tow in 4th gear and almost never let it drop into 3rd. That means I am limited to 55-60 on flat roads, about 50 on slight inclines, and about 45 on steep hills.

I use both a sway bar and a load leveler. I'm not sure the sway bar is actually needed, based on postings here. (I have never towed without the sway bar. I bought it on advice from others rather than tow without it to see if I needed it.)

The load leveler definitely makes a big difference with our setup and I wouldn't tow without it. However, I don't think a load leveler would be of much help when driving in side winds.
Gene & Linda - 2007 Escalade - 24-Foot Keystone Cougar TT- Life is not just about gas mileage!
miksons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miksons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2010 at 11:28am
First, again, thank you all for your info. I found it very, very helpful. Clap

I have to admit that I am surprised to hear that towing an r-pod costs 40-50% in terms of mpg. We haven't towed because we don't yet have a unit, but it is good to be prepared. I suppose I would have had a big shock when I filled up if you hadn't let me know. A 40% drop, at 55-60mph, would give us about 12 mpg. That is low, but considerably higher than I was getting with my motor home, so perhaps not so bad.

And, given your comment about the load-leveler, I suppose we should get both. My view is that a little bit of prevention is probably better than a lot of cure. Better to have it and not need it than the other way around.

Look forward to hearing more ...  Smile

MikeFromMesa
pepperpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pepperpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2010 at 11:58am
Originally posted by miksons miksons wrote:

I have to admit that I am surprised to hear that towing an r-pod costs 40-50% in terms of mpg. We haven't towed because we don't yet have a unit, but it is good to be prepared. I suppose I would have had a big shock when I filled up if you hadn't let me know. A 40% drop, at 55-60mph, would give us about 12 mpg. That is low, but considerably higher than I was getting with my motor home, so perhaps not so bad.

And, given your comment about the load-leveler, I suppose we should get both. My view is that a little bit of prevention is probably better than a lot of cure. Better to have it and not need it than the other way around.

Ok.  Another dumb question  Embarrassed  What is a load leveler and what purpose does it serve?  I know it probably levels the load. LOL
Pepper,Coach,and Henry (a very brave little Maltese)
R Pod 172

The rewards of the journey far outweigh the risk of leaving the harbor...unknown
PodPatrol View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PodPatrol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2010 at 1:06pm
I've read a bunch of posts at a Honda forum about WDH.
There is alot more to this subject than meets the eye.
I believe that if there is a science to towing, WD could be declared
as a Major studies.
In essences, it helps distribute tongue weight to the TT & TV.
There is a calculation involving weights at different points along the
TT & TV.
Before determining if one is in your future please read about them
and try to understand the application and it's effectiveness.
I will try to come up with some generic links concerning this application.
More later .......
Larry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2010 at 2:48pm

I am currently having sway control installed on my R-Pod 171 by a local dealer, and it is my understanding that you can combine sway control with a load leveler but a load leveler is only recommended for tongue weights 350 lbs and over, according to my dealer, and the tongue weight of my R-171 is 181 lbs with and additional 40 lbs estimated for the batteries and LP Tank. My point is that I don’t think I need a Load Leveler with this light weight trailer but the sway control will be of great benefit. I just got my pod this year on the 19th of January so I don’t have much experience towing it; driving it back about 700 miles from where I picked it up it seemed to handle very well coming across mountain passes and on the windy open plains; but I’m installing sway control just for the sake of caution.. The R-176 has a dry tongue weight of 240 and the R-177 tongue weight is 232.

In California if you are towing anything you’re not suppose to exceed 55 mph; that includes big trucks (18 wheelers) and people towing travel trailers, etc. They will ticket you if you are towing and exceed 55 even if the speed limit for other vehicles is 65 mph or more. In Nevada they don’t care; all vehicles can travel at the posted speed limit, which on the open interstate is 75 mph; still when towing I will not exceed 60 mph.

Larry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2010 at 2:55pm

P.S. My gas mileage also dropped about 45% to 50% when towing the r-pod; it all depends if you’re driving over mountain passes, hilly terrain, or flat open road. Stop and go traffic also effects gas mileage. I get about 400 miles to a full tank of gas but when towing the r-pod that is cut down to about 200 to 250 miles.

miksons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miksons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2010 at 3:34pm
I guess I have to show my ignorance and ask exactly what is WDH? I have never heard the term before.
MikeFromMesa
PodPatrol View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PodPatrol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2010 at 3:55pm
Weight Distribution Hitch 

A system of springs and levers that transfers part of the tow ball weight onto the front wheels of the towing vehicle and, to a lesser extent, the RV trailer.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/auto-parts/towing/equipment/hitches/towing-weight-distribution-systems.htm

miksons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miksons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2010 at 7:09pm
OK. Thanks again. I have browsed the web site and will re-read it in detail.

I guess there are a lot of things to know about pulling a trailer that I never had to consider when I was just driving a motor home. Thanks to all of you I will be much more prepared to make good equipment decisions than I would have been.

MikeFromMesa
photog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote photog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2010 at 10:40pm
Originally posted by miksons miksons wrote:

How much your mpg drops depends on your tow vehicle and your right foot. We will be towing with a Ford Escape 6 cyl and I expect a 35 - 40% drop. Towing I rarely exceed 100 km an hour. ( about
60mph) Now, on some occasions I will tow with our sons Dodge 1 ton diesel, that vehicle won't even know that the trailer is there and it will not take any measurable amount of extra fuel.

Same goes for a load leveling hitch, the Dodge won't know that the trailer is even there so there is no need for one.

With the Escape I won't even think of towing without one. Hitch weight of the 171 is 181 lbs empty. I have 2 bottles on the toung and probably will have 2 batteries as well. After loading the trailer
with the rest of camping pharaphenelia I estimate that there will be over 300 lbs on the tongue.

Let's assume that it is 300 lbs, (which is the max for the Escape) if I adjust the load leveling hitch correctly it will transfer 100 lbs back onto the trailer axle, 100 lbs to the front axle of the Escape and 100 lbs stays on the hitch. That will keep everything nice and level.

Whether I'll need sway control I'll determin after the first time out with the trailer. It depends on how the whole combination works. In the past I needed one for a small 17 ft travel trailer but another larger trailer did not need one.

Heinrich and Elly

2010 Dodge Dakota Crew Cab
Prime Time Tracer 205 M
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 12>
  Share Topic