r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > r-pod Reviews and Information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Towing an r-pod

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2010 at 5:59am
Originally posted by Ned Ned wrote:

We purchased a RP-173 last Spring and have never used a sway bar or load leveler. I drove in some very windy days with no problem. I find the trailer is very smooth and I am very happy with it.
The same here.
Hope to see you "out there"

David - weird guy with a wolf
Dixie - German Shepherd
RP173 - "Campground Assault Vehicle 1"
2009 Silverado 5.3L V8
Outbound View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Outbound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2010 at 10:57am
I encourage anyone who's considering a sway bar/WDH and not yet taken an r-pod out for a tow to wait before investing.  Take the r-pod for a test drive.  Take it for a 2-4 hour short trip and see how it behaves.  Then make your decision.

Personally, I don't have sway control nor WDH, and I don't need it.  It wouldn't improve my towing experience.  My vehicle/R-Pod combination tows like a dream.
Craig :: 2008 Mazda Tribute :: 2009 r-pod 171, The Johnnie Ray
Ned View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ned Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2010 at 11:56am
I agree. It tws like a dream
Ned
Rocket Pod RP-173
Miramichi, NB
2005 Ford Escape
miksons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miksons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2010 at 12:03pm
I don't have sway control nor WDH, and I don't need it.  It wouldn't improve my towing experience.  My vehicle/R-Pod combination tows like a dream.

First of all, I completely agree with your suggestion that it is a good idea to try towing before investing in equipment. Based on what I have read here I guess a weight-distribution hitch is a good idea if the setup does not look reasonably flat when first put together.

Also I assume people's towing experience varies based on a number of items including what their tow vehicle is. Can you tell me what you are using to tow? Perhaps I could get some information on what to expect with my Jeep if I knew what vehicle-rpod combinations towed well and which ones needed sway bars or the like.

Thanks.
MikeFromMesa
miksons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miksons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2010 at 12:05pm
Oops. Missed the signature line at the bottom of the post. Sorry.
MikeFromMesa
R&T's Pod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R&T's Pod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2010 at 12:11pm
I would have to agree also to try out your rig without the Sway Bar/WDH.  When we are looking at our pod, the dealer was pretty insistant we buy the WDH, that is until I showed him our Tow Vehicle, (see signature) then to his credit he did say while he'd be glad to sell us WDH/swaybar, he'd be really surprised if we ever had any issues towing where we would need them.  The only trip so far we've had (due to lots of rain and two snow storms) has been to bring the pod home.  This was only about 35 miles, mostly interstate driving, and everything behaved like it should.  Rob
2010 R-Pod 175 2007 F-150 Super Cab R&T's Podding Blog

K9Equine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote K9Equine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2010 at 12:53pm
Totally agree that it depends on the vehicle. Seems like the bigger pickups do just fine, while the 6 cyl vehicles might need the WDH. That was my experience. Just drove 12 hours up from the Gulf Coast and no problems at all with the Dodge and no WDH. Wouldnt have wanted to do that with the Toyota and no WDH!
2010 RP175
08 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad
Outbound View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Outbound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2010 at 1:21pm
The model of your r-pod may also have an impact on your decision to buy a WDH.  The tongue weight (dry) of my RP-171 is 181 pounds.  This light tongue weight was a factor (one of many) in my decision to go with this model over the others available at the time.  There is a good deal of variation across the models:
  • RP-151 - 241 pounds
  • RP-171 - 181 pounds
  • RP-172 - 179 pounds
  • RP-173 - 184 pounds
  • RP-174 - 234 pounds
  • RP-175 - 235 pounds
  • RP-176 - 240 pounds
  • RP-177 - 232 pounds
  • RP-172T - 260 pounds
  • RP-173T - 282 pounds
  • RP-176T - 288 pounds
Don't forget: the numbers above are dry weight.  By the time you add a battery, fill the propane tank, put water in the fresh water tank, and load all your camping gear in the trailer, you'll add a good deal of weight.  Mine went up 45 pounds, but I can see some increasing 100-150 pounds depending on the number of propane tanks, batteries and how they load their camping gear in  trailer.

With my vehicle, I could definitely see a need for a WDH in order to tow some of the heftier models.
Craig :: 2008 Mazda Tribute :: 2009 r-pod 171, The Johnnie Ray
Larry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2010 at 1:53pm

I’m having a sway bar installed because I’d rather be safe than sorry. The investment is $115 parts and labor; for me that is certainly not a lot of money. I live in a wind corridor; lots of people move here to Fairfield, California, like myself, which have never had any allergies until they live here. The wind blows all sorts of stuff into the air, and while it is good for the wind turbines it is horrible for allergies.

I have never really experienced any fish-tailing with my 171 but on occasion when a big 18- wheel truck passed me on the freeway at high speed my pod would wobble. But that is not the reason I am getting sway bars; for me the investment is minimal and in my opinion an ounce of prevention is worth ten pounds of cure. In short; I agree with everything that has been said here about it being a personal decision.

It’s like insurance; something you pay for that you hope you never need, and if sway bars gives me even the slightest edge than it’s’ worth the investment. How much money do people waste on lottery tickets and other things which give them little to no return? But again; I want to emphasize, its’ a personal decision.

Larry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2010 at 1:56pm

P.S. Because of the light weight of my 171 tongue I was advised against getting a WDH, by the RV service department I use, but sway bars were suggested as optional.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 12>
  Share Topic