r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > r-pod Reviews and Information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Towing an r-pod

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Mrs. 'Piper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrs. 'Piper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Towing an r-pod
    Posted: 21 Nov 2010 at 4:18pm
0327wanda,
You might want to contact Forest River directly for a price on the risers.  We got ours for $100 and someone after that got them for $75.  The contact info is as follows:

Susan Thornberg
Phone 574-642-3119 ext 205
E-mail  sthornberg@forestriverinc.com

It's worth a try to contact Susan first.  No sense paying more than you need to, especially if you have a family member who will install them for you.
Mrs. 'Piper (Anne)
Sandpiper (Carroll)
RPOD 177
Site #196 2011 Eastern Roundup
0327wanda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 0327wanda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2010 at 12:57pm
Thanks so much for the info. I've a mechanic with a shop as a family member and the Pod is stored there for the winter. How easy is that? I'll phone the place I bought the Pod from and see what they say as they are a Forest River dealer. If it brings it up that much I wonder do you need a drop hitch if it's being pulled by a 3/4 ton truck?
0327wanda
Kenn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2010 at 11:01am
The risers are fairly easy to install. It comes with instructions and anyone with a jack and some tools would be able to install that. With that in mind, you could do it yourself, go to your nearest RV place, or even a mechanic and they should be able to get it installed in under an hour.

As far as riser cost, they should be around $250, depending on where you get it from. Well worth the investment. I noticed better towing right away with it.

2010 RPOD 176 (Silly-POD), 2011 Forest River Stealth 2612, and 2014 Forest River XLR 380AMP
0327wanda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 0327wanda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2010 at 10:21am
Right Kenn I got ya but mine's an 09' and I passed parallel parking when I took my drivers test lol. Reply to Magee Beach Park, Port Aransas: Can you give me a ball park figure on the cost of raising the R-Pod? Keep in mind that I live in Alberta, Canada and stuff like that may not be available. And yes I do get out of my vehicle and look at the ground before pulling into a campsite. I've pulled 5 wheels etc with racehorses on so I've been down that road a time or two. Thanks so much everyone for your input, I love this site!
0327wanda
Kenn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2010 at 7:26pm
Originally posted by 0327wanda 0327wanda wrote:

Sorry Kenn I'm not sure what you mean by auto park. 

The new Escapes have a park assist feature. The Escape will take over the steering and it'll parallel park for you automatically. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BDY7RSLHxo&feature=related

2010 RPOD 176 (Silly-POD), 2011 Forest River Stealth 2612, and 2014 Forest River XLR 380AMP
pmjensen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pmjensen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2010 at 1:02pm

Sorry Kenn I'm not sure what you mean by auto park. I do have grade assist which means the Escape uses lower gears when towing but I can't go over 90kms without the RPM's going sky high(over 3000). It just doesn't have the power I would like and saying that I knew it would be that way when I bought the Escape.  My sister has a 3/4 ton and I'll use it for any long hauls just need a drop hitch. Here's a question, I've read on here that you can lift the trailer? It is very low to the ground and I worry about the stuff underneath when you pull into a campsite with uneven ground.

There is a lift kit for the Pods.  We have it on our 176.  It raises it 3-4 inched.  Really makes a difference when use some dump sites and you don't have to worry about scraping anything.

Happy Podding
2011 R-176 Nuestro Pod
2011 Frontier SV
sylviablue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sylviablue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2010 at 11:39am
We pull our 171 with a Nissan Frontier, V6.  I've said it before, it's my story and I'm sticking to it.
A dynamite truck and tows without strain.  It was a great choice for us.

Thumbs Up
In the end there's just a song comes cryin up the night

0327wanda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 0327wanda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2010 at 10:27am
Sorry Kenn I'm not sure what you mean by auto park. I do have grade assist which means the Escape uses lower gears when towing but I can't go over 90kms without the RPM's going sky high(over 3000). It just doesn't have the power I would like and saying that I knew it would be that way when I bought the Escape.  My sister has a 3/4 ton and I'll use it for any long hauls just need a drop hitch. Here's a question, I've read on here that you can lift the trailer? It is very low to the ground and I worry about the stuff underneath when you pull into a campsite with uneven ground.
0327wanda
Kenn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2010 at 11:56pm

I pull my R-Pod with a Ford Escape...
Have you tried the auto park feature with the POD attached? I was wondering how well this would work.

0327wanda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 0327wanda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2010 at 9:25pm
I pull my R-Pod with a Ford Escape and as long as I don't have to go thru the mountains I'm comfortable with pulling it. I have sway bars and an equilizer hitch hooked up and no worries except I can't do 110kms on the highway. (Canada). I'm thinking of trading the Escape for a 1/2 ton truck.
0327wanda
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 12>
  Share Topic