r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Miscellaneous / Off-topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Buying an R-pod

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cowboyspencer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Buying an R-pod
    Posted: 19 Jan 2010 at 12:35pm
Hello all.  New to the forum, obviously.

My wife and I have been looking at a number of different RVs, and I'm a fan of the R-Pod.  Don't know if I'm going to be able to swing it financially, but ... have a few questions for the experienced.

1.  The dealer guy I talked to said that there's essentially no maintenance associated (as there would be with other RV types).  Have you found this to be true?

2.  I noticed two things about the plumbing on the 175 (my preferred model).  It hangs very low to the ground, and the gray and black water tanks have separate outputs.  Have you found either of these to be a problem?

3.  I've been reading a bit on this forum and in other places and haven't found any consistent issues with the R-Pod.  It's relatively new, so I was concerned about possible problems (that haven't been worked out over successive generations, so to speak).  What seem to be the primary problems the R-Pod has? 

4.  My parents have been full-timers in the past, and they recommend a load-balancing hitch with sway bars, etc.  Does the low profile of the R-Pod help with that at all? 

Thanks y'all.  Please wish me luck in my shopping. 
joe&carol View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joe&carol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2010 at 12:55pm
Welcome CowboysSpencer . . . Good luck on your pursuit of R-Pod ownership. The best advice one could offer you is to spend some time drilling down on this site for a while.  I suspect all your questions will be answered and then some.  That includes your concern about the underside arrangement of the plumbing and tanks.  (For that and other reasons consider getting a unit that has axle risers installed.) Have fun doing your research.  Joe  Smile  
sylviablue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sylviablue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2010 at 1:11pm
Good luck cowboy spencer.  I can't address all your questions but we do like the arrangement of two separate drains  for grey and black water.  We empty the black water first, then switch to grey which helps wash out the tubes. 
We haven't found the need for a sway bar due to the lightness of the pod and it's small size.  Handels quite well on the road.  Axle risers we don't have as yet but they would probably be a good thing.
Stay tuned and let us know how your search goes.  Smile
In the end there's just a song comes cryin up the night

pepperpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pepperpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2010 at 1:26pm
Cowboyspencer
I spent many months reading the posts on this site before ordering my Pod.  These are good people with a lot of knowledge who have been kind enough to share it with us newbies.  Good luck with the search.
Pepperpod
Pepper,Coach,and Henry (a very brave little Maltese)
R Pod 172

The rewards of the journey far outweigh the risk of leaving the harbor...unknown
Sandpiper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sandpiper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2010 at 1:30pm
Welcome CowboySpencer
As Joe said .. spend some time  reading the info on the forum and most of your questions will be answered. 
Here are my thoughts to your questions.
1.  I haven't encountered anything that is maintenance free.  You have to keep the Pod clean, bearings greased, battery charged, wires tightened etc so it is not maintenance free.  Maybe less maintenance than other campers but all campers have normal maintenance that needs to be performed.
2. The low outlets do make it more difficult to drain the tanks and there is concern about road clearance.  Both of those concerns can be addressed as, Joe said, by having the 3" optional riser blocks installed.  A minimal cost to have that done at the factory. I don't have them and so far haven't seen the need to install them.
I don't have a problem with having two tank outlets.

3. A couple of problems seem to be re occurring. 

The first is reports of decals pealing off  I haven't heard of any resolution to that problem even though I feel confident Forest River will correct it under warranty.

The second is a problem with noise (pinging) in the propane lines.  There have been several discussions about the problem but I haven't heard and official cure to the problem.  Maybe others can be more specific than me since I haven't noticed the problem on our Pod.

The only other thing that pops up from time to time is the shortage of storage space.  We spent 18 years vacationing on our 26 foot sailboat so the r pod is a storage heaven for us.  I guess it is a matter of perspective.

4.  We pulled our 177 over 2000 miles through OH, KY, TN, VA, PA behind a ford F150 and did not have a problem that would warrant spending money on an anti sway bar let alone a weight distributing hitch.  Again your mileage may vary.

Again, welcome and just post your questions.  They are a lot of people on here with many, many years of camping experience and knowledge and are willing to share that with you.

Oh, don't forget to check out the 2010 Eastern US R Pod Roundup and reserve your site.

Sandpiper
Mrs.'Piper
Ford 150-[Mini Lite 2104S]
Outbound View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Outbound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2010 at 1:33pm
Welcome aboard cowboyspencer!

Feel free to ask questions, even the most basic ones.  Most everyone 'round here is friendly and willing to share experiences.  There are a few old cranks (me being one of them Wink) but they're generally harmless.

Quote 1.  The dealer guy I talked to said that there's essentially no maintenance associated (as there would be with other RV types).  Have you found this to be true?

Thats the first time I'd ever heard that one.  Maintenance required on r-pods is the same a most other travel trailers.  I suppose that your dealer may have been referring to the r-pod's axels/hubs as they do have a grease nipple (where most other trailers do not), but you still have to take them apart annually to clean and inspect them and give them a fresh glob of grease - just like every other trailer.

Quote 2.  I noticed two things about the plumbing on the 175 (my preferred model).  It hangs very low to the ground, and the gray and black water tanks have separate outputs.  Have you found either of these to be a problem?

My 171 is pretty much the same underneath, and I've never had trouble with the sewage drains catching.  In fact, I have to travel over a series of speed bumps (about 10 of them) to bring my r-pod home (I live in a townhouse complex) and if the plumbing has never caught on one of them, I doubt it'll catch anywhere.  I've also never heard anyone else on the forums complain that they've caught their plumbing.  The rear stabilizers, however, I've heard several complaints of scraping them on driveways with steep (and moderate) inclines.  Forest River does offer axle risers as an option, which you may want to consider if you think that height will be a problem.

Quote 3.  I've been reading a bit on this forum and in other places and haven't found any consistent issues with the R-Pod.  It's relatively new, so I was concerned about possible problems (that haven't been worked out over successive generations, so to speak).  What seem to be the primary problems the R-Pod has? 

In general, r-pods have been trouble free.  Of course, all of the appliances and systems in the r-pod are stock RV items used in many other trailers, so most of the kinks have been worked-out long ago.  But, a fairly common complaint is with the propane regulator pinging/ringing - some say the noise goes away, others have had the regulator replaced.  A few of us have had problems with decals peeling in the cold.  There have been two recalls that I know about: one to install a tie-down strap on the propane tank, the other to add caulking underneath the trailer in the corners.  There have been a few other complaints (some serious) from other forum members, but fortunately they've been one-offs (or two-offs).  The most worrying to me was cracking of the frame, but I've never heard/seen of anything else similar.  Forest River and the local dealers have been quite good in fixing the problems, although nobody likes to have to take their trailer in for service.

Quote 4.  My parents have been full-timers in the past, and they recommend a load-balancing hitch with sway bars, etc.  Does the low profile of the R-Pod help with that at all?

I don't use sway bars or a weight distributing hitch and, for my vehicle and r-pod, genuinely do not believe that its necessary (or that it would even improve my towing experience).  Frankly, my r-pod tows like a dream.  Many others don't use sway/weight-distributing equipment either.  However, a number of forum members do.  My advice: try towing your r-pod without sway/weight-distribution equipment; make your decision after you've brought the r-pod home and have gone on a short trip or two. 

Craig :: 2008 Mazda Tribute :: 2009 r-pod 171, The Johnnie Ray
Outbound View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Outbound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2010 at 1:35pm
@sandpiper: darnit! Censored I stopped to answer the phone.  Otherwise, I would have been in ahead of you.
Craig :: 2008 Mazda Tribute :: 2009 r-pod 171, The Johnnie Ray
cowboyspencer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cowboyspencer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2010 at 1:36pm
Thanks for the tips. 

I noticed that there isn't much storage space, but I think that's just part of the game with a trailer of this type.  I'm guessing you could have axle risers done after-market as well?  I'm not sure where the factory is :)  Also, in terms of maintenance, I was thinking mostly of washing/waxing etc.  Do you keep yours covered or under cover?

I like the Coachman Shasta too, but I don't think there's any way I can do an all-electric! 

Just thought of another question:  to cut down on cost, we could forgo the microwave/convection oven.  Is there a good place to plug in a standard microwave where the installed one would go?
cowboyspencer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cowboyspencer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2010 at 1:38pm
Re: The weight-distributing hitch and sway bar - I thought such was the case.  I've hauled horses all over creation and never used either and never had a problem.  My parents have the above equipment and are offering to give it to me, so I guess I'll use it to keep them from worrying :)
Sandpiper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sandpiper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2010 at 1:44pm
Outbound
While I was getting my feeble mind to work my slow fingers, two people posted ahead of me.  An old, slow guy doesn't have a chance around here.
Sandpiper
Mrs.'Piper
Ford 150-[Mini Lite 2104S]
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
  Share Topic