r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Maintenance Issues, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Refrigerator & propane

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flamingo_betsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Refrigerator & propane
    Posted: 29 Sep 2010 at 9:13pm
Hi everyone!
I have another question, and I know someone can help.
I am getting ready to go about as "dry" camping as I ever plan to. Since I hadn't gone any place for several weeks, I had turned off the propane tank. I usual turn the refrigerator to the propane mode when traveling but after turning the propane tank back on, the refrigerator doesn't seem to work on that mode. As soon as I change the mode, the little red light flashes.  It continues to flash even after a few minutes.
I've read where you should light the burners to bleed the air out of the lines just in case.  Did that, left them on for a couple minutes.
I also filled up the fresh water tank & turned on the water pump, ran water out of the hot water spigot & everything worked fine.  I turned on the hot water heater & the water was hot after a few minutes.
It seems like everything else with propane is working fine. 
Any suggestions to figure out why the frig isn't working?
Thanks,
Betsy

Happping Podding from Flamingo Betsy, Dixie Doodle, our agility star, Hisaw's Indigo Rose, the crazy Aussie puppy, & the two JRT's, Sophie & Bouncer.
TravelGypsy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TravelGypsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2010 at 7:27am
Try this...it worked for me when I had the same problem....press and hold the MODE button for several seconds/minutes.  If it doesn't fire up the ignitor...give it a minute or two and try again.  Turns out I was just 'switching' between modes and not actually turning ON the propane mode.  Worked for me last weekend when I took a last available, non-electric sight at the state park and had to improvise my plan for the weekend.   A little quality time with the frig manual and a cup of coffee usually sets me straight!    Hope this works for you!
The Gypsy Caravan
JRo & Topher (he objects to the CRo I assigned)
Nick, Will & Em
R-172 2011 & Honda Odyssey 2003
Butterfly_Lee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butterfly_Lee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2010 at 9:40am

Yes this has happen to me also, I just light the one of the burners on the stove for a minute.  My theory "is that air (pressure whatever) gets in the line and needs an outlet for the gas to get though to the fridge". 

Once I do that the fridge turns right on.
LeeClap
Still a work in progress, lots of pictures.
http://podterfly.blogspot.com/
Outbound View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Outbound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2010 at 11:00am
Originally posted by Butterfly_Lee Butterfly_Lee wrote:

Yes this has happen to me also, I just light the one of the burners on the stove for a minute.

+1
Craig :: 2008 Mazda Tribute :: 2009 r-pod 171, The Johnnie Ray
gepaine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gepaine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2010 at 12:46pm
According to my copy of the Dometic manual (and my actual experience), pressing and holding the Mode button is only for turning on or off the refrigerator. Once the refrigerator is ON, you can't actually "turn ON" a mode by holding the button. Simply pressing and releasing the Mode button switches the refrigerator between the 3 available modes. Once a mode is selected, it will start up without having to hold the button.

It may have seemed like holding the button for "seconds/minutes" caused the propane mode to turn on, but more likely, the regrigerator went thru multiple startup attempts before the burner lit. (In propane mode, it will attempt to ignite the propane (you can hear the ignitor sparking), and if there is no ignition, it will wait a predetermined time and try again. I don't know how many times it will try before turning on the red failure light. This whole process might take 30 seconds or more, and if you continued to hold the button during this time, it may have appeared that holdong the button caused it to turn ON. However, it would have done the same thing if you weren't holding the button.
Gene & Linda - 2007 Escalade - 24-Foot Keystone Cougar TT- Life is not just about gas mileage!
Tom and Carol View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom and Carol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2010 at 8:11pm
I decided to try the propane mode on our way to a campground after running it in electric mode overnight before leaving.  When I got to the campground is when I noticed the light flashing.  So, I guess I too will be looking to the manual for help when I get a chance.
Tom and Carol
R-Pod 177
2006 F-150
HuronSailor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuronSailor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2010 at 11:27pm
Originally posted by Tom and Carol Tom and Carol wrote:

I decided to try the propane mode on our way to a campground ... When I got to the campground is when I noticed the light flashing.

Although some friends of ours had an RV who's fridge ran on propane while on the road, I don't think the fridge on the rPod is meant to run on propane while underway - only 12V. I'll bet the pilot just blew out.
.: Mark & Beth :: Silverado 5.3L :: "arrrr"Pod 172 :: My Albums :: OurPod Blog ::
Phil H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phil H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2010 at 7:28am
I have run ours on propane on several trips - while driving - works great Smile
2010 R-pod 171 (sold)
2010 Surveyor SV251 towed by a 2010 Chevrolet Avalanche
HuronSailor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuronSailor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2010 at 9:18am
Oh. I stand corrected. Good to know.
.: Mark & Beth :: Silverado 5.3L :: "arrrr"Pod 172 :: My Albums :: OurPod Blog ::
Ned View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ned Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2010 at 7:34pm
We run ours on propane on the road with no problem.
Ned
Rocket Pod RP-173
Miramichi, NB
2005 Ford Escape
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic